Tuesday, June 13, 2017

swatch diaries: Quince & Co Owl


Things have been pretty quiet in these parts lately. My knitting has recently been filling in the cracks of my days, taking a backseat to a few other big projects, most of which I'm not quite ready to share about yet. That being said I've got a few lovely projects on the go (though it's taken me ages to finish any...) and I've been working with really amazing yarns, some of which I've only recently discovered.

And so I thought it might be fun to start a little log- a diary of sorts, detailing some of the yarns (and stitch patterns!) I'm working with in the form of swatches. 



Up first I'm sharing about one of my very favorite yarns- Quince and Co Owl. I love all the Quince yarns I've tried but this is by far my favorite. It's a dreamy blend of 50% American wool and 50% New Zealand Alpaca, shown above in the Abyssinian colorway (undyed) and in the top photo in Canyon, a lovely soft shade of pink.

I adore wool/alpaca blends, they're one of my favorite fiber blends to work with. Alpaca is just so soft and lovely but I find on it's own, it creates a fabric that's a little to dense and heavy for my taste. Pair it with good wool and it's just the perfect mix. 

The swatch (shown in progress) in the photo above is chevron layette stitch, with a few moderations made by your's truly. It was originally intended to be a new pattern design, but I just haven't been able to get my ideas to translate to the needles as I was hoping. 

So I think I'm going to turn this lovely yarn into a pair of mittens (yes- always mittens). I'm thinking either the Woodland Tales mittens by Melody of Mandarine's or maybe I'll save it for a pair of WOODS mittens come late Fall this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment