Wednesday, December 27, 2017

My Year in Books



every year I do a little reflection here on the blog of my favorite books that I've read this year. This year I set a goal to read 24 books (2 per month) and was a little more intentional- I aimed for 50/50 fiction & non-fiction. I managed to meet this goal, and quite enjoyed picking the books for each month, though I did find it a little restricting at times- I didn't read any series this year, which is something I certainly missed. I also was sharing over on Instagram using the hashtag #whatruthisreading2017 which was fun, but not something I think I'll do again (I'll probably just share the highlights...) This year I'm also going to shoot for 24 books as it feels like a good number for me right now (not easy, but not unrealistic either) though I think I'm going to plan less and absolutely let myself read (and finish!) some series... and maybe do a bit more re-reading (Harry Potter audio books anyone..?)

So as per usual- here are my own personal "book awards" for this year. (If you're curious to see all the books I read this year, I've listed them all under my reading challenge on Good Reads- there were certainly some duds, but I did read a good many more that didn't make the below list that are worth checking out!) 


best re-read: Anne of Green Gables (LM Montgomery)

most surprised to love: Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)

hardest to put down: Murder on the Orient Express (Agatha Christie) (though I feel like I also have to mention John Krakauer's Into Thin Air here, which was definitely most likely to send you down a Wikipedia rabbit trail...)

most likely to change my daily life: Present Over Perfect (Shauna Niequest)

most quoteable: Big Magic (Elizabeth Gilbert)

most in my wheelhouse: The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern)

most heartbreaking: Everyone Brave is Forgiven (Chris Cleave)

best memoir/biography:  Lab Girl (Hope Jahren)

best crafty related book: WOODS (Making Stories)

the one that kept me up at night: Half of a Yellow Sun (Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) 

the one I'm still telling everyone about: Wonder (RJ Palacio)


So what's up next? Well, I'm currently reading Little Women for my bookclub and am hoping to finish before the new year. Then I'm planning to read The Crosswicks Journals by Madeleine L'engle (and maybe also re-read A Wrinkle in Time to get ready for the movie...) What about you guys? Read anything good lately?  

No comments:

Post a Comment